Thursday, March 27, 2008

Pro: Beautiful Sunsets

Flames of Sunset on a Passionate Blue

I love Shishmaref Sunsets. There's something about a northern sky aflame with colors that's absolutely gorgeous. I took this picture a few nights ago. Steve was out, and he came in to tell me about the sunset (he knows I love them and love to take pictures of them; what a nice guy). He was even a good enough sport to pose in the picture for me so I could have a dramatic silhouette.


IMG_1147.JPG

My favorite sunsets are the ones that happen over water. Unfortunately for me, those sunsets only happen a few months a year. When we get to Shishmaref in August, the weather is warm (by warm, I mean fifty degrees). One of my favorite things to do is sit on the rocks by the water and watch the sunset.


P4220189_1_1.JPG

Another neat thing about sunsets and sunrises in Shishmaref is that they happen at funny times. During the winter we only get a few hours of light a day. Sometimes the sun rises at about noon and sets a few hours later, so it's possible to see both the sunset and the sunrise in the same day from my classroom windows.

Who could ask for anything more?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your Sunset pictures they are beautiful! -rina

Dorese @ Dorese's Pieces said...

You are so talented in your picture taking! I love to see what you've been doing up there, and I can't believe the things you have been living with! I think I would go crazy from the lack of sunlight in the winter alone... we won't even broach the topic of your plumbing situation! : )