Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Celebrating An Anniversary Alaskan Style

Step One: Plan ahead. You will not be able to purchase quality meat on demand in Shishmaref on the day of your anniversary, so it it imperative that you bring steaks with you from Seattle after Christmas.

Step Two: Find this biscuit recipe on Amateur Gourmet. Use it to get results like this:

DSC_0029.jpg

(Steve told me that these biscuits were better than KFC's. As a full time lover of KFC biscuits, I took this to be a supreme compliment.)


Step Three: Find this steak recipe (also on Amateur Gourmet) and follow it to make some pretty good meat. Be so involved in the searing process that you are unable to take a picture. :(

Step Four: Eat the above food in addition to salad, cinnamon sugar carrots, and Guava juice.

Step Five: Take obligatory anniversary photo:

DSC_0040.jpg

Third Anniversary


Blast from the past:


2nd Anniversary

2nd Anniversary


Inupiat Days 174.jpg

1st Anniversary


DSC00601.JPG

Wedding!!!

Our favorite game to play with these pictures is "Spot the Weight Gain." You will notice a distinct difference in face shapes from the beginning of the pictures... You will also notice for the third anniversary picture that I failed to bother with makeup or even lip gloss. (You will also notice that Steve has a slightly stupefied look in each picture, although each year it is a slightly different stupefied look...)

The cutest part of the evening was reading the cards from Steve's third graders. I am going to share a few of my favorites. Be prepared for major cuteness...

DSC_0060.jpg

"Sup Happy Cupul" or "What's Up Happy Couple." This gives you a good idea of slang and spelling in Shishmaref...


DSC_0064.jpg

The same student offered us a nice compliment. It's good to know people around here think we are a nice couple, as opposed to a mean couple, an ugly couple, or a nightmarish couple.


DSC_0056.jpg

This one cracks me up. Apparently, Steve's kiddos didn't make these cards of their own free will. This little guy gives us an insight into the instructions Steve gave his class. I love that he wrote it down. My favorite part: I don't care what you draw.


DSC_0067.jpg

The kids are absolutely obsessed with my maiden name. They are fascinated by the idea that I used to have a different name. They call me Angie Busch all the time.


DSC_0062.jpg

Some good advice for an anniversary evening.


DSC_0066_2.jpg

Most teachers in Shishmaref go by their first names. Steve has his kids call him Mr. Alston. I think it's funny that this little girl addressed the card to "Mr. Alston and Angie," as opposed to "Steve and Angie, " or "Mr. and Mrs. Alston."

Here's my favorite:

DSC_0066.jpg

Okay, Sarah. We will.

8 comments:

tonksfam said...

Super cute! And cinnamon sugar carrots? That I'll have to try. Is it also an Amateur Gourmet recipe or a family tradition?

Dorese @ Dorese's Pieces said...

I love the cards! Thanks for sharing the cuteness! : ) I realized I had never seen any of your wedding pictures... so I just stalked your flickr account again. Though I suppose it's not really stalking since I'm your flickr friend... But I love it! And happy anniversary! (Can you believe it's already been 3 years?!?)

Nick and Brent said...

Yea, happy anniversary! Love the advice from Steve's students, that was too cute. And the traditional anniversary pictures...steve has the same face in every one! Too funny! But don't tell him I said that :)

jake said...

Happy Anniversary! I'm not so sure about the "spot the weight gain"...I think the "spot the cessation of skin exposure to sunlight" game would be easier.

jake said...

By the way, I forgot to mention that Steve reminds me of Wash from Firefly.

BrittWilk said...

Happy Anniversary! And those cards are soooo precious! It sounds like you and "Mr. Alston" have such a wonderful life up there. I'm happy for you guys. I love to see happy people who will take the advice of that card and "love each other forever". :)

JEM said...

Oh man. Those cards are awesome. And your anniversary cuisine sounds delectable. And you two are just so frakking adorable I'm going to explode. I hope you had a good birthday.

Oh, and I'm sorry to burst your bubble but you're TOTALLY a Kaylee.

JEM said...

I mean anniversary. Not birthday. Although I hope those were nice, too.