Sunday, March 22, 2009

Creative Cooking: Just Another Sunday Dinner

It's been a while since I've shared our culinary adventures with the VFN readership. I don't really have anything exotic or exciting to share, but this is a pretty typical Sunday dinner for us.




DSC_0777


It started with some cauliflower. I know, I know, cauliflower is one of those unglamorous vegetables with a fairly high yuck-factor, but I've been in love with roasted vegetable recipes ever since I found an earth-shattering broccoli recipe. (I'll take pictures and share it next time I make it. It will make your heart flutter.) Roasted broccoli with garlic was so good that when I came across a recipe for roasted cauliflower, and the store had fresh cauliflower THE EXACT SAME WEEK, I knew I was destined to make it.



DSC_0778


I poured some olive oil over the cauliflower.

Note to readers: Steve and I have gone through over two liters of olive oil this school year. Is this unhealthy?



DSC_0779


I added whole garlic cloves. (They're kind of hard to see, but they're there, I promise.)



DSC_0781


As far as Steve is concerned, this is the secret ingredient: bacon. (Or, more accurately, bacon bits. You know, the real kind. The hefty chunks of bacon in a ziploc bag you buy at warehouse stores.)



DSC_0782


Sprinkle it all with kosher salt, throw it in the oven, and out comes...



DSC_0812


this. And, yup, it tastes as good as it looks (unless you think it looks nasty, in which case it tastes much better than it looks). Steve and I polished off an entire bunch of cauliflower. By ourselves.




DSC_0786


But, the cauliflower was only a supporting character to the porkchops. I have a really good recipe for pork chops with a creamed herb sauce, but I wanted to try something sans sauce. One of my favorite food blogs posted a simple pork chop recipe, I got right on it (this was kind of a week of food blog providence).

I started the pork chops with rosemary...



DSC_0787


brown sugar...



DSC_0789


cumin and pepper.



DSC_0790


Then mixed it all up on a paper plate because I was too lazy to wash a real dish.


DSC_0798


I coated the pork chop with the mixture and threw it in a hot frying pan with some olive oil (see, I use it in everything).



DSC_0805


A few minutes on each side, and it was done. I was kind of embarrassed by the blackened parts, but they tasted really good, so now I display this picture with pride.



DSC_0804


Tossed a quick salad with dried cranberries, pistachios, and blue cheese. Mmmmm, mmmmmm, mmmmm.

I love Sundays...

5 comments:

Dorese @ Dorese's Pieces said...

I may have to try this entire meal out... It looks so yummy! And for the record, we're olive oil people, too. But you know, they say you have to get in those monounsaturated fats every day, and that's good ol' olive oil, baby!

Colleen Marie said...

I love your cooking adventures. And this time, you didn't even have to put in the step "feed husband Chili-mac and wait for tomorrow." That's got to be a bonus.

Adrianna said...

Angie! I'm so glad that you are back and blogging. I love reading about your life in Shish. I always find myself laughing out loud when reading your posts, you have awesome voice! Yes, I am dorm parenting this week. We have nine students from Shish. They have actually been really good and fun to hangout with.
-A

JEM said...

Mmmm. I can't believe you had actual fresh salad! Isn't that, like, a never-event?

Super Angie said...

Jaz, the salad used to be a never event, until we got our Aerogarden!!! Upcoming post about that exciting addition to our lives...