Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Creative Cooking: Salmon Yakitori

DSC_0875

This is what Steve brought home from his initial fishing adventure.



DSC_0892

Isn't it beautiful?



DSC_0897

This is the freshest salmon I have ever cooked with. From the ocean to the net to my hands in mere hours.

I went to my delicious bookmarks and looked up salmon. I rediscovered yakitori, a recipe I've been meaning to try from one of my favorite food blogs.



DSC_0882

I started with a little sugar.

Note to readers: I attempted to be artistic while taking these photos and placed the salmon in the background of every ingredient picture. Consider appreciating that. Thank you.



DSC_0885

Some smashed garlic.

Note to readers: If you use a knife to smash garlic cloves, use the same knife to slice a cucumber, and eat that cucumber slice, it is a bad idea. Trust me.



DSC_0888

The original recipe called for rice wine. I had no rice wine. The suggested substitute was apple juice. I had no apple juice. I had a packet of caramel apple cider, but I thought that might throw the flavor of the dish off... I ended up using rice vinegar.


DSC_0887

Because I'm an idiot, I added oil to the marinade. The oil was supposed to be used when cooking the salmon. Oops. Luckily, I don't think it ruined everything. In fact, because I used sesame oil, the flavor may have even been enhanced.




DSC_0889

I had the foresight to mix the marinade in a ziploc bag...





DSC_0898

which made it really easy to let the salmon chunks soak up the goodness overnight.



DSC_0993

These pictures aren't the greatest, but I wanted to add them to prove I actually did make this dish. The above picture is the marinated salmon in (some more) sesame oil.



DSC_0002

This is the salmon when it was done. (Again, the photo is primarily to prove my culinary activity, in fact, took place.)



DSC_0005

The finished yakitori. Even my non-fish-eating husband enjoyed it.



3 comments:

Missy said...

I'm blushing at the link. Maybe I should start posting again....
Thanks for the push :)

The Hoogland Family said...

Yummy! I love your adventures in cooking. We love salmon, but is that what color it really looks like? Or is that a special breed of salmon or something? When you buy it at the store it is like a pale pink. Your salmon is bright red?!? Oh I bet it is so good when it is that fresh!

Missy! said...

I don't care much for salmon, but it sure looks delicious for someone else to enjoy!!