Sunday, September 18, 2011

Field Trip: Berry Picking

DSC_0643

I got to go berry picking with this little guy yesterday.

Astute VFN readers will notice that the little cutie is wearing a life jacket. And in front of a background of water. That's because we were on a boat. The good berries are always a little ways outside of town.



DSC_0676

We stopped by the white truck. Apparently, it's a local landmark.



DSC_0665

We were surrounded by beautiful fall colors.



DSC_0660

At our feet were berries. They grow really close to the ground.



DSC_0656

These are the berries from this post. They are called blackberries by people around here, but another name for them is crowberries. They are less desirable than blueberries or cranberries, but they were the most plentiful, so I decided to pick them.



DSC_0674

My little boating buddy picked shotgun shells.



DSC_0681

I was quite pleased with how many berries I got in a few hours. The women from Brevig and Shishmaref would probably laugh if they saw how few berries I got. They typically pick up to twenty-five gallons a season.



DSC_0706

The berries are beautiful. I look forward to enjoying them this winter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you seen this post yet?

http://www.epbot.com/2011/08/milk-jug-photo-studio.html

I love your close up pictures of things. Also, what are the odds that you have a milk jug up there.